Turns out the little jokers aren't just freeloading - they're munching on the pine cones in the trees in our front yard. Thus, opportunities for crossbill pictures IN THEIR NATIVE HABITAT! Aren't you as excited as I am? Oh well, just read on anyway - it won't take much more of your time. Here's one in our second-pine-from-the-north-end tree.

In another startling new crossbill development, it turns out that one of our resident flock is a white winged crossbill, somewhat unusual, as they generally winter north of here. Here SHE is, gleaning dropout seeds underneath the sunflower seed feeder (Male red crossbill also shown).
2 comments:
Your pine-sitting crossbill is very cute! Good pic.
I find it a bit underhanded to entice the birds to your window with a feeder that you gratuitously stuff with seed, then call them "freeloaders" for availing themselves of the meal! You, sir, are an enabler of the feeloading. In fact, I would go so far as to say that you may be a bit codependent! You facilitate their addiction to the seeds, actually continuing, neigh encouraging, the pathology. Sick!
Post a Comment